Monday, November 2, 2009

Haley's first Halloween

Haley's first Halloween was a bit of a bust. We were in hot Serasota Florida (no fall feeling and leaves falling) for Zach's frisbee tournament. We didn't get to carve pumpkins or go trick or treating with friends. But there were some redeeming qualities. I did eat some candy corn and Haley looked adorable in her costumes.

I always though I'd dress my baby as a pea pod for halloween, because lets face it, when else in life is that cute? But, my mom got Haley an adorable witch costume instead. This was purchased before she was even born on one of our many Babies R Us outings. When we got it we all though there was no way she would be big enough for it, it looked huge on the hanger, but my long little baby filled it out quite nicely. It was nice because this may be Haley's only store bought costume, at least until she can save up to buy one herself.
We went to olive garden for dinner and it was quite entertaining. there was another baby there dressed as an imp (basically a devil with bat wings) and a cute little toddler dressed as a puppy. His mom was taking him to the bathroom a little too quickly and he kept slipping on his paws.

I was worried Haley would be uncomfortable in her outfit so I made her some onesies as well. These were made with simple fabric markers. (I messed up by filling in the ghost's moth too much and putting a line over the pumpkins tooth... but since i made these at 1 in the morning I guess I shouldn't beat myself up too much)
I would have likes to just do black on an orange onesie for the pumpkin, but I thought this was a nice alternative. I copied the idea for the hat, and was pretty pleased with the way it turned out.
I wanted the ghost to be friendly looking, so I'm not sure if it gets the point across. This one is a little too small too, but Haley is pretty tolerant. I wish I had made a pointy white hat to match.

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken Haley to a pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins with friends and done some cut Harry Potter character family costumes, starring Haley as a mandrake.

1 comment:

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Aw, it wasn't a total bust. You should have told me you wanted to carve pumpkins...we could have found a patch. :)

I must agree though, 90 degree weather and greenery everywhere does not seem like Halloween.