Thursday, June 23, 2011

Haley's bug

My internet access has been in and out for a variety of reasons (storms and mac power cords...) and may continue to be so over the next few days (traveling...) so sorry if posts have been and will be scarce again for a while.

But here's a quick Haley story to make you smile.

Today after story time at the library we went to the park. There were 4 other kids there that Haley knows but she mostly kept to herself, eating her snack and wondering around our newly discovered playground. While she wandered the 3 bigger kids caught bugs. And occasionally brought them over to Haley for her to look at.

Fast forward about 6 hours.

We had some dinner guests and sent Haley to the fenced in backyard to play in her sandbox while we chatted at the table. At one point Haley came rushing to the door saying "bug, bug" with a joyful, proud grin on her face.
Squished between her two fingers she held her new little friend.
She tried to bring the bug inside and I was hesitant to let her enter with her bug in tow. At first glance it looked like a piece of dirt. But I was a little worried she would be bringing some sort of spider into the house. (We've had a lovely lightening bug in our living room the last two nights, but I think a ladybug is the only other critter I would gladly accept inside)
I leaned in closer to examine Haley's bug and saw a little head with antlers. Hmmm... I thought, is that an ant?... No. (Haley's fingers loosen and the bug begins to wiggle away, revealing little yellow and black stripes) a bee! (and not the friendly honey bee kind, the yellow jacket, sting you and make you cry, kind) I don't remember exactly what I did next but I'm pretty sure I smacked it out of her hand and yanked her inside away from it's pointy stinger.
Luckily she was not stung, and I'm sure she still doesn't understand why I didn't like her little friend that she was so proud to have captured.  Makes me think of "I'm bringing home my baby bumble bee" and I was proud that she wasn't afraid of the bugs, but we might have to work on deciding which ones are ok to bring home. All this while being careful not to impart my arachnophobia on her. (One of the Dad's at the park was doing such a great job of teaching about how good bugs and spiders are. The whole time I was thinking, yuck! spiders. eek! )

In Liam news

last night we went to bed at around 12:30. We didn't wake up until about 5:45.
I woke up and I looked at the clock to see what time it was. I immediately looked over at Liam to make sure he was ok, since he usually wakes up every 2-3 hours. I put my hand on his back and felt him peacefully breathing in his happy sleepy place. The panic left as quickly as it had set in and I smiled knowing my little boy practically slept through the night.

Liam's bed at the home :)

4 comments:

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Yay for Liam sleeping!! And that is hilarious about Haley catching a bee! Oh my goodness I would have freaked out, too!

Unknown said...

I can't believe she had a bee in her hand and didn't get stung! She's way braver than I am--I have arachnophobia too, I hate spiders and most bugs too. Crazy.

Caitlin
from black currant thoughts.

Debbie said...

V, that's hilarious! i'm glad H didn't get stung! and that song is the perfect choice for the scenario! kids are so cute in their innocence :)

AWT said...

Remember that phase I went through at AIS where I caught bees all the time? Maybe when she's older Haley and I can go bee catching...